Nomination of AFP chief, other military officials to higher rank stalled for now
By: Cathrine Gonzales – Reporter / @cgonzalesINQINQUIRER / 03:13 PM March 10, 2021
MANILA, Philippines — A panel of the Commission on Appointments (CA) suspended its hearing on Wednesday without approving the nominations and ad interim appointments of 15 senior military officials, including Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief of staff Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana.
Because of “lack of material time,” the CA’s Committee on National Defense has agreed to suspend the meeting which also covers discussion on the nomination of Sobejana to the rank of General.
The meeting will continue on March 17, according to the panel.
The nominations and ad interim appointments of the following officers were not confirmed following the suspension of the committee meeting:
* Cirilito Sobejana to the rank of General
* Joel Alejandro Nacnac to the rank of Brigadier General
* Edgar Palma to the rank of Brigadier General
* Erick Escarcha to the rank of Brigadier General
Ad interim appointments:
* Ferdinand Cartujano to the rank of Lieutenant General
* Edgar Nigos to the rank of Brigadier General
* Donn Anthony Miraflor to the rank of Commodore
* Nestor Florente Rayos to the rank of Major General
* Potenciano Camba to the rank of Brigadier General
* Joseph Ferrous Cuison to the rank of Brigadier General
* Romeo Brawner Jr. to the rank of Major General
* Monico Abang to the rank of Brigadier General
* Florante Gagua to the rank of Commodore
* Domingo Gobway to the rank of Brigadier General
* Eric Nicanor to the rank of Brigadier General
Meanwhile, the ad interim appointment of Lowell Tan to the rank of brigadier general was initially included in the list but his confirmation hearing has been deferred.
Cavite 6th District Rep. Luis Ferrer IV, chair of the CA committee on national defense, said Tan’s confirmation hearing was deferred after he received a call from Leyte Rep. Lucy Torres-Gomez who expressed opposition to the appointment of the military official.
“I receive a call last night from our colleague, congresswoman Lucy Torres and she has opposition to the appointment of Brig. Gen. Tan, so we will furnish you a copy of the sworn opposition before the next hearing,” he told Senator Panfilo Lacson who inquired about the reason for the deferment.