Pregnant elephant is killed after eating a pineapple filled with a firecracker that exploded in her mouth after locals fed it to her in India
A pregnant elephant died after eating a pineapple filled with a firecracker that exploded in her mouth when locals fed it to her in India.
Forest officer Mohan Krishnan said the soon-to-be mother elephant died some days after the explosion, standing up in a river in northern Kerala’s Malappuram district.
The wild elephant left the forest to forage and approached a nearby village searching for food, where the locals offered her the tampered fruit.
‘She trusted everyone,’ Krishnan wrote as he detailed the incident on Facebook.
‘When the pineapple she ate exploded, she must have been shocked, not thinking about herself, but about the child she was going to give birth to in 18 to 20 months.’
The wounds around the elephant’s mouth are partially visible as she stands in the Velliyar River in northern Kerala last Wednesday
The wild elephant left the forest to forage and approached a nearby village searching for food, where the locals offered her the tampered fruit. (The elephant standing in the Velliyar River in Kerala last week, where she later died)
The explosion ripped through the elephant’s mouth, badly damaging her tongue and jaw, leaving her unable to eat.
Krishnan, who was part of the initial response team to help the injured creature, said she didn’t trample homes as she ran through the village in agony.
‘This is why I said, she is full of goodness,’ he said.
Images show the elephant standing in the Velliyar River with her trunk and wounded mouth submerged under the surface.
It was likely she was trying to prevent flies and bugs from flying into the cuts, the forest officer said.
Officials brought two other elephants to the river in an attempt to entice her from the water but, according to Krishnan, she had come to the river to die.
‘I think she had a sixth sense. She didn’t let us do anything,’ he wrote.