Rep. Garcia resigns from One Cebu: I can’t support party endorsing Marcos
MANILA, Philippines — Saying he will continue to support the presidential bid of Isko Moreno Domagoso, Cebu 3rd District Rep. Pablo John Garcia stepped down as Secretary General of the One Cebu Party which has endorsed former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
Garcia announced his decision on Tuesday, saying he “cannot support” the decision of his party to back Marcos’ presidential bid.
“I have been officially informed that my party, One Cebu, has endorsed a candidate for President; a choice which, unfortunately, I cannot support,” Garcia said in a statement.
According to Garcia, he will continue to support Domagoso who he sees as the “most capable and best prepared to lead the country out of this many-pronged crisis that it now faces, and into the future.”
“I respect One Cebu and its decision, just as I hope that the party I helped found, and have only the deepest affection for, would respect my choice and direction,” Garcia said.
“As I intend to continue actively campaigning for Mayor Isko in the remaining days of the campaign, I am stepping down as Secretary General of One Cebu in order to avoid any conflict of interest,” he added.
Garcia said Cebu 6th District Rep. Emmarie Ouano-Dizon has been designated as the party’s Secretary General in the meantime.
“I assure my party-mates that I shall continue to work hard for the victory of all local candidates of One Cebu,” Garcia said.
Garcia is the brother of One Cebu president and Cebu’s incumbent governor Gwendolyn Garcia.
Earlier in the day, One Cebu announced it is backing the presidential bid of Marcos after considering “differing opinions of party leaders.” The party has earlier announced its endorsement of Marcos’ running mate Davao City mayor Inday Sara Duterte-Carpio.